“The WHO has declared a sleep insufficiency epidemic throughout industrialized nations.”
- The number of accidents caused by sleep fatigue exceeds the sum of accidents caused by driving under the influence of alcohol and drugs …
- Lack of sleep has a negative effect on the immune system, increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases and Alzheimer’s …
- The less we sleep, the more likely we are to eat more. Unsleeped body cannot effectively process calories, especially blood sugar. Lack of sleep increases the risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes …
The recommended sleep time is 8 hours.
Homo erectus, the forerunner of the homo sapiens, was the first terrestrial sleeper. Sleeping on the ground alowed an extension of the REM phase, because there was no danger of falling (from the branches of a tree). During REM phase there is an atony – the striated muscles lost tone – thus cannot engage in dreaming that is filling this phase of sleep. People sleeping on the ground were in danger of predators, leading to shorter sleep time. The threat of danger on the ground persisted also with the fire , so sleep intensified (the proportion of REM sleep increased). The REM phase of sleep enhances the ability to identify and classify socio-emotional signals, stimulating intelligent decisions and sensible action. In the deep NREM phase we lose consciousness and notion of time. This phase is important for storing memories and removing those…
How to improve sleep quality?
- away with TV and smartphones from your bedrooms
- no working on PC 4 hours before bedtime
- lower room temperature in your bedroom (ideally 18 ° C)
- go to bed at the same time
- avoid naps late in the afternoon (approx from 4 pm)
- calm down at bedtime (no worries to bed)
- avoid alcohol consumption before bedtime
- avoid caffeine consumption 4 to 6 hours before bedtime