“Does your refrigerator help you with your nutritional discipline or does it sabotage your best efforts to eat a healthy diet? Fill your refrigerator with food that is really fits with your diet plan.
WHAT SHOULD YOU STORE IN YOUR REFRIGERATOR?
1.MILK AND DAIRY PRODUCTS
- Low-fat or semi-fat milk, sour milk (acidophilic or kefir milk)
- Natural yoghurt (I recommend you Skyr yoghurt and Greek yoghurt Milko with 0% fat content), low fat or semi-fat curd
- Eidam cheese with 20 or 30% fat content, Cottage cheese
- Czech Olomouc ripening cheese, Lučina or Philadelphia spreads, butter or margarine
2. RAW MEAT AND FISH
- Ham of the highest quality (chicken and pork or beef)
- Poultry, lean beef and pork
- Sea fish (for example salmon, mackerel)
- Something extra: ALTERNATIVE MEAT: tofu
3. EGGS AND EGG PRODUCTS as liquid whites (I recommend) and Šmakoun product
4. FRUIT (with a few exceptions)
- blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, grapes, peaches, apricots, apples
5. VEGETABLES (with a few exceptions)
- tomatoes, peppers, salad cucumber, radishes, ice salad, spinach, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower
HOW TO ORGANIZE YOUR REFRIGERATOR WITH FOOD?
Appropriate storage of food in the refrigerator is very important. It prolong its shelf-life, and also plays a significant role in prevenention of foodborne illnesses.
Keep in the refrigerator between 0 ° C and 5 ° C (ideally 4 ° C). Do not overfill it and open refrigerator/freezer doors more often than necessary.
Different parts of your refrigerator operate at different temperatures. In older style refrigerators there are the upper shelves often slightly colder than the lower. You should store the raw meat on the upper part. In more modern appliances, the temperature is uniform throughout; store raw meat and fish um the lower shelf.
Raw meat should be carefully packed to prevent dripping of meat juice and blood and thus contaminating other foods.
Avoid contact of cooked foods with raw meat (=avoid cross-contamination). Already cooked dishes and soups store in the top shelf. However, before placing them in the refrigerator, allow them to cool down first.
Avoid blown packages . Blown packages a sign of growing microbes inside. The cause may be that the products have been stored for longer periods at higher temperatures or that the end of their expiration date is close. Dairy products and sausages should be stored in the middle shelves. Sliced sausages will keep only 4-5 days after purchase and fermented salami and bacon will keep for 2-3 weeks. Eggs should be stored in cartons to reduce the loss of moisture through the shell. Eggs should be placed in the middle of the refrigerator or their doors.
Most fruits and vegetables are temperature-sensitive, keep them in the boxes at the bottom of the refrigerator. Tropical fruits (such as pineapples and bananas) and sweet potatoes are sensitive to cold and should not be stored in the refrigerator at all. On the other hand, apples, pears or strawberries prefer storing in refrigerator. Citrus fruits, cucumbers, peppers and aubergines lose water easily in the fridge. Garlic and onion do not belong to the refrigerator at all, store the potatoes in a cool, dark, well-ventilated place to avoid germination; do not leave them in plastic bags, rather put them to a paper bag or box.
 Food safety: Storing perishable food. Csiro [online]. 2015 [cit. 2018-07-30]. Dostupné z: https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/Health/Food-safety/Refrigerating-foods
 Home Cooking and Storage. Fsai [online]. 2017 [cit. 2018-07-30]. Dostupné z: https://www.fsai.ie/faq/domestic.html
 Správné uchování potravin a pokrmů v chladničce prevence vzniku onemocnění z potravin. Szu [online]. 2004 [cit. 2018-07-30]. Dostupné z: http://www.szu.cz/uploads/documents/czzp/Program_SPZ/Nebezpeci_onemocneni_z_potravin/lednicka3.pdf